Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Ministry of Education and Human Resources, Tertiary Education and Scientific Research

News

Average Rating

Related News

Press Release - Admission to Form I 2014

Date: December 11, 2013
Domain: 
 

 

ADMISSION TO FORM I 2014 - Supply and Demand

 

          1.  Mainland

 

            General Education

 

1.1           Demand for Seats in Form I

The number of school candidates who registered for CPE 2013 examinations was 23,419 compared to 21,891in 2012. Over the last 10 years, there has been a decline of 11% in the number of CPE candidates.

    

1.2           Total Supply of Seats in Form I

              At resumption of studies in 2014, 149 schools will admit students in Form I, as opposed to 148 schools in 2013 (Doha secondary school attaining status of private-aided school in 2013).

The 149 schools comprise the following:

         (i)    68 state-owned secondary schools, of which

o   15 admit students on a national basis

o   53 admit students on a regional basis

        (ii) 81 private-aided secondary schools

 

      1.3       Supply of Seats by Type of School

The total number of seats that will be made available in 2014 amounts to 17,944, of which 7,875 seats (44%) are provided by the state sector and the remaining 10,069 seats (56%) by the private sector. Of the 7,875 seats in state-owned schools, 1870 seats will be available in National Schools and 6,005seats in Regional Schools.

Schools under the administration of the BEC will offer 1,667 seats (671 for boys and 996 for girls)

The provision of seats is nearly equal for both sexes, with 51% of seats being made available for girls. The supply of seats disaggregated by zone, school, type and gender is at annex.

 

    1.4        Prevocational Stream

            Supply of Seats

In 2014, a total of 119 secondary schools will run prevocational classes for Year I students and these schools are distributed as follows:

(i)            37 state secondary schools

(ii)           1 state-owned prevocational school  (Gandhian Basic School) and

(iii)          81 private-aided secondary schools

The 119 schools will run 227 sections with a total of 5,597 seats, of which 1,421 seats representing 25%, account for state provision.

 

 

    2     Rodrigues

2.1       General Education

 

In Rodrigues, The number of school candidates who registered for CPE 2013 examinations was 964 compared to 1,023 in 2012.

Six secondary schools will offer a total of 548 seats in Form I in 2014, of which 52% will be available for girls.

 

2.2       Prevocational Stream

The five secondary schools will offer a total of 150 seats for students of the prevocational stream.

 

 

ANNEX

Table 1: Evolution of supply of seats by type of school and by gender (Island of Mauritius)

 

2007

2008

2009

2010

2011

2012

2013

2014

National Schools (State)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Boys

630

770

945

910

840

892

892

935

Girls

630

910

945

910

875

858

858

935

Total

1,260

1,680

1,890

1,820

1,715

1,750

1,750

1,870

% Girls

50%

54%

50%

50%

51%

49%

49%

50%


Regional Schools (State)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Boys

3,056

3,010

3,140

3,052

2,946

2,966

2,985

2,924

Girls

3,184

2,810

2,955

2,923

3,079

3,164

3,136

3,081

Total

6,240

5,820

6,095

5,975

6,025

6,130

6,121

6,005

% Girls

51%

48%

48%

49%

51%

52%

51%

51%


Private-Aided Secondary Schools

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Boys

5,892

5,689

5,550

5,630

5,178

5,096

5,619

4,908

Girls

6,384

6,419

5,952

5,536

5,425

5,312

5,227

5,161

Total

12,276

12,108

11,502

11,166

10,603

10,408

10,846

10,069

% Girls

52%

53%

52%

50%

51%

51%

48%

51%


Total Regional Schools








 

Boys

8,948

8,699

8,690

8,682

8,124

8,062

8,604

7,832

Girls

9,568

9,229

8,907

8,459

8,504

8,476

8,363

8,242

Total

18,516

17,928

17,597

17,141

16,628

16,538

16,967

16,074


Grand Total (All Schools)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Boys

9,578

9,469

9,635

9,592

8,964

8,954

9,496

8,767

Girls

10,198

10,139

9,852

9,369

9,379

9,334

9,221

9,177

Total

19,776

19,608

19,487

18,961

18,343

18,288

18,717

17,944

% Girls

52%

52%

51%

49%

51%

51%

49%

51%

 
 

(0) Comment(s)