The Library Cadre Section operating under the aegis of the Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science and Technology is responsible for the administration and management of school libraries (Primary, State Secondary Schools and State Colleges), documentation centres of Ministries and six public libraries situated in Rose Hill, Grand Bay, Goodlands, Rose Belle, Mahebourg and Rivière des Anguilles.
The main functions of the Library Cadre Section are:
• To advise on policies, legislation and development in the library sector.
• To ensure proper staffing of libraries including the deployment and placement of officers in the cadre.
• To control and monitor library expenditure.
• To monitor development and use of library materials.
• To plan and ensure implementation of library projects.
Public Libraries of the Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science and Technology:
The first library became operational in 1952 at Rose Hill. Following the popularity of the library services there and in view to serve the public at large, the library facilities have thus been extended to different places in Mauritius during the 1980’s.
Except for Rose Hill Public Library, all the libraries are situated in rural areas.